Safeguarding children – the action we take to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm – is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and families has a role to play.
Keeping students safe
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined as:
- Protecting children from maltreatment;
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development;
- Ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- Taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
(Keeping Children Safe in Education, 2014 pg4 and Working Together to Safeguard Children, 2013)
The college takes the safeguarding of students as a priority, evidenced by its Core Values:
- Students’ experience is central
- We value individuals and promote self-esteem
- Work as a team
- We encourage innovation, creativity and enjoyment
- We conduct ourselves with integrity and respect for all
- We aim for excellence in everything we do.
The college recognises that protecting and safeguarding young people is a shared responsibility and depends upon effective joint working between agencies and professionals that have different roles and expertise. We adhere to the procedural guidelines and definitions set out by the Hull and East Riding Local Safeguarding Children Boards.
Prevent Policy (Currently under review)